Monday, June 18, 2012

One word: WOW - Tacos DF in Denver, Colorado

Tacos DF
2020 S. Parker Road, Denver, CO  80231
(303) 671-2986
__________________________________

Have you liked Taco Nose Best on Facebook yet? http://www.facebook.com/TacoNoseBest



Today I found myself on the east side of Denver close to Aurora.  I don't normally get over here to Parker Road & Iliff Ave., so I used my handy-dandy Yelp App to see if there were any good taco places mentioned.  Typed in tacos with "my current location" and B-I-N-G-O!  up popped Tacos DFWhere the heck is Jewell and Parker Roads?  How did I ever get around in 2005 before GPS in my car and, of course, my foodie Iphone applications?  This taco stop is an easy one to miss.  Hidden in a small strip mall between a liquor store and wireless shop, my friend/passenger yells, "there it is!"  Two U-turns later we enter the parking lot. How many times can I mention, how excited I get for huge parking lots or tons of street parking in Denver?

Getting out of the car, I knew this was going to be good!  I just had that feeling.  A taco person just knows (or nose) these things.  Did a quick crossing of my fingers that this place will take a credit card, and headed inside. 


Tacos DF was pretty packed for a Monday before the lunch hour.  As we headed up to the counter, a mouth watering salsa bar is the first thing you see.  Holy cow this is going to be good.  Don't look, at the salsas, don't look at the salsas (I tell myself). Concentrate! You need to go to the counter and place your order. (Yes, they take credit cards, yay! We don't have to go to the McDonalds down the road with my MasterCard.) 

After a couple of minutes of "why don't you get this, and I'll get that" we decide on two Asada tacos and two Al Pastor tacos.  Behind the counter they also have your typical Mexican soft drinks, Horchata, Tepache, Tamarind, Mexican Coca Cola.  Love that!  

Even with the busy crowd of people inside, our order was super speedy and we were at that salsa bar 5 minutes later and ready to get down to some serious business.  What was really cool, in addition to all 5+ salsas, was this sort of a salad bar area if you will, with extra items like, lettuce, limes, cilantro, tomatoes, onion, jalapenos.  This is my kind of place. I like toppings and extra wonderful things to place on my tacos. 



All I can say is WOW.  One bite of my Al Pastor sold me!  I think I called 3 people to tell them how awesome this place was on bite number 2.  The marinated pork was probably the best I've had in Denver.  Just the right amount of flavor, juices, which sometimes can be tricky with Al Pastor.  Tacos DF serves them up with lettuce and cheese, and I added onions and tomatillo from the salsa bar. My "side dish" today was Tacos DF's sort of pickled jalapenos that were also at the salad, I mean, salsa bar (see in the photo above).  Washed all this down with a Mexican Coca Cola.  My lunch date gave me a big bite of his Asada tacos, and another WOW!  Note to self: get one asada and one al pastor next time. 

The bill for two of us at lunch:  a little over $11.00 for 4 tacos and 2 drinks.  We left and headed to the golf course.  What a great start to a casual day.  Would of been even better if we had a few more minutes for dessert (they had Flan and Arroz Con Leche). 

On hole number two at Kennedy Golf Course we were talking about Tacos DF's salsa bar and reminiscing about it (it has been a whole 55 minutes ago).  We realized we didn't snap a pic of the salsa bar (such blogger tragedy).  I actually thought, maybe we should head back there to get the photo and while at it, get two more tacos.  Unfortunately, we didn't make it back today, but now it's my excuse to hit up Tacos DF for dinner later in the week.


Taco Nose Best Stars for Tacos DF:
Food - 5 stars
Service - 5 stars
Parking - 5 stars
Atmosphere - 3.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment